How To Keep The Drain Flies Away From Your Huntsville, AL Home
May 27, 2022
One of the reasons pest control in Huntsville is important is because of drain flies. The hot, humid weather we experience is the perfect environment for them, and they always seem to find ways to get in our homes and be a general nuisance. Read on to learn where these pests come from, why it’s so hard to get rid of them, and some natural prevention tips.
Where Do Drain Flies Come From?
The most common types of house flies are drain flies.
Below are some of the places these pests could be coming from:
- Swamps: There are lots of swamps here in Alabama, and these standing pools of water are a favorite of drain flies.
- Neighbor’s houses: If your neighbors have clogged pipes and gutters causing water to be still, they could also be coming from there.
- Bathrooms: This is a popular place for drain flies because not only do leaky pipes cause standing pools of water, but they also feed on sewage, making any bathroom almost the perfect environment for them to thrive.
While your gutters, pipes, and pools are all things that attract drain flies to your home, they are most likely coming from local swamps, bogs, and other people’s homes with the same standing water.
Why Is It So Hard To Get Rid Of Drain Flies?
Perhaps the best case for professional pest control in Huntsville is because drain flies are notorious for being nearly impossible to get rid of on your own. They are difficult to get rid of because home remedies for flies usually do not work. In fact, many of these online DIY methods actually attract more flies! No matter the types of house flies you are dealing with, the best way to get rid of flies is to have an expert treat your home and yard with professional, advanced chemicals not found in home remedies for flies. Additionally, drain flies are prolific breeders, meaning they can easily restart an infestation even if you manage to kill a bunch of them.
Tips To Deter Drain Flies
While they’re nearly impossible to get rid of on your own, there are things you can do to prevent them from getting too close.
Below are some ways to keep drain flies away:
- Fix leaky pipes: Regularly check the piping in your house, both inside and outside. If any of them are leaking, fix them.
- Clean up standing pools of water: If pipes and spigots on your property were leaking, make sure to clean up the water that was left behind to make the areas less appealing to drain flies.
- Clean your gutters: Be sure to clean your gutters out, ensuring all water, moisture, and leaf litter is eliminated, as this is another popular spot for drain flies.
- Turn lights off: Drain flies are attracted to light sources, so be sure to keep lights off when they are not needed, and this will cut down on the drain flies coming closer to your home.
Ultimately, if you have a drain fly infestation, the best thing you can do for yourself is to contact a professional to exterminate the swarm entirely.
How To Get Rid Of Drain Flies In Huntsville For Good
Here at EnviroGuard, we have over 40 years of combined experience exterminating drain fly infestations. Armed with the skills and tools needed to safely and effectively clear out your infestation, our expert technicians will also help you implement prevention strategies to ensure the flies do not return. If nasty flies are buzzing around your home, give us a call today!