How To Make Sure Rats Stay Out Of Your Laredo Home
March 22, 2022
Whether a child or adult, did you ever want to have a pet rat? Or maybe you were always somewhat scared of rats and hoped never to see them around? Regardless of how you feel about these rodents, rats in Laredo that invade homes are not good news. While some rats can make good pets, wild rats in Laredo are dangerous and destructive, and they are also some of the most invasive pests around. Find out what you can do to prevent rats in this guide.
Signs Of Rats In Your Laredo Home
The most obvious sign of a rat infestation is seeing a rat. Rats can be up to a foot long, including their tails, and they are usually a brownish-grey color, but sometimes dark brown or black. However, you might not see any rats until the infestation grows. Rats are nocturnal and sneaky, but there are other signs of a rat infestation to know about, such as:
- Squeaking or scurrying noises in the walls
- Rod-shaped droppings appearing around baseboards or in attics, closets, and garages
- Bite and chew marks around walls or personal belongings
- A strong ammonia smell that comes from rat urine
- Pawprints in dirt or spills
Can Rats In Your Laredo House Make You Sick?
Rats might not seem that dangerous, but don’t let their size fool you. While they are unlikely to bite, they can still make you sick by the things they leave behind. The build-up of their urine, feces, and fur can lead to allergies, asthma attacks, and the spread of illnesses like hantavirus. Rats will also try to get into food sources of all kinds if they can, so they can spread pathogens that lead to things like salmonella and rat-bite fever.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Rats In Your Laredo Home
Rat control is challenging to do on your own. Rats can reproduce quickly and survive on small crumbs of food. The only truly effective way to get rat control is with assistance from EnviroGuard. We provide rodent control plans that use various treatment and exclusion methods to eradicate existing rodents and prevent them from coming back in the future.
Tips To Keep Rats Away From Your Laredo Home
While the best way to prevent rats is with professional pest assistance, there are some steps you can take on your own to deter them. You should focus mainly on removing factors that attract rats, such as access to food and water. Here are the steps you can follow:
Seal up holes in the foundation and walls with wire mesh or other items that rodents can’t chew through.
- Store pet food in tightly sealed containers inside of the house.
- Clean floors, do dishes, and wipe up food and drink spills.
- Repair leaky faucets and pipes to remove excess humidity. You can also remove humidity around the property by eliminating standing water.
- Cover the chimney with a cap so that roof rats can’t crawl inside.
- Get lids for all trash cans so rats can’t get into them.
Learn more about rat prevention and eradication by giving EnviroGuard a call today. You can also request an inspection or ask for a quote.