How To Protect Your Waco Restaurant From Problematic Pests
December 23, 2021
Dealing with pest problems isn’t just something that Waco homeowners have to worry about. Many businesses can deal with pests of one kind or another, and the restaurant industry is particularly prone to pest infestations. Because restaurants have food around all of the time, they can attract a wide range of pests, and many of these species can be dangerous and destructive. Read on to discover more about common pests in Waco that invade restaurants and how you can prevent them.
Problem Pests In Waco Restaurants
Two of the most common pests around are cockroaches and rodents, specifically mice and rats. All of these species are attracted to spaces that have ample access to food and water, and they are all adept at sneaking in through tiny access points. Because of the busy kitchens and necessary food storage all restaurants share, they are the ideal environment for cockroaches and rodents to thrive.
While these are the most common restaurant-invading species, there are others you have to worry about, too. Ants are frequent in the area, and while most are considered a nuisance, some are more dangerous, and all are invasive. Pantry pests can also get into stored food products and spread quickly.
The Problems Pests Can Cause
There is a wide range of issues that pests can bring to your restaurant, such as:
- Rodents can spread diseases such as hantavirus and rat-bite fever.
- Cockroaches can carry up to 35 different illnesses, including dysentery and salmonella.
- Both rodents and cockroaches can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks in employees and customers.
- Rats and mice are known for chewing through many materials such as drywall, plastic, electrical wires, and more.
- Many species will invade and contaminate food products, so these would need to be thrown out.
- The sighting of just one pest can harm your reputation, especially as people are likely to share this information online.
How To Keep Pests Out Of Kitchens
In order to keep your restaurant safe from pests, it’s a good idea to take preventive steps against them. You can focus on removing access points into the building as well as minimizing factors that attract pests in the first place.
Here are six specific measures to take:
- Make sure doors are closed when not in use.
- Seal up cracks in the exterior walls and foundation with products like caulk. Install door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Remove standing water from the property and ensure good ventilation throughout the building as many pests are attracted to humid environments.
- Keep kitchen and food prep areas as clean as possible and ensure that food messes are cleaned up promptly.
- Regularly take out the trash and get lids for all garbage cans. It’s also a good idea to periodically clean the inside and outside of trash cans.
- Reach out to rodent control experts.
The Best Way To Keep Pests Out Of Your Waco Restaurant
The best way to prevent problem pests is to call the pros at EnviroGuard for assistance. We offer commercial pest control services that address the many dangerous and deceptive pests in Waco. We can work with you to create a customized plan and provide ongoing prevention and removal of many species. Contact us right away to request a quote.