Pest Spotlight: Tackling A Fly Infestation In Laredo
December 24, 2022
House flies are one of the most common types of pests that Texas homeowners deal with. These small, flying insects are not just annoying, they can be hazardous to your health. If you are suddenly having a problem with a fly infestation in your home, the Laredo pest control specialists at EnviroGuard know how to solve it.
Characteristics Of Common Flies
There are more than 12,000 species of flies that live in the United States. However, there are only a few different types that are commonly found in Laredo homes. Here is a look at some of the types of fly species that you are most likely to encounter if you live in or near Laredo:
- Fruit fly: As their name implies, fruit flies are attracted to rotten fruit. However, they aren't too picky when it comes to finding a meal. They will devour any type of rotten or fermented food that they can find. They have light brown bodies that are around 1/8 of an inch long and they usually have red eyes.
- House fly: House flies are the most common type of fly that people find in their homes. When they reach full maturity, house flies can grow to be up to 1/4 of an inch long. Their bodies are covered with fine little hairs. Like the fruit fly, the house fly also has red eyes, but their eyes contain over a thousand lenses that help to give them better vision. The average lifespan for house flies is about 25 days, but their ability to lay up to 900 eggs in their lifetime means that you could have a full infestation in no time.
- Horse fly: Horse flies look similar to house flies, but they are considerably bigger. When it reaches full maturity, a horse fly can measure up to 1 1/4 inch long. Their name was given to them because they are known for bothering horses and other large mammals. Unlike the other common flies found in Laredo, horse flies are known to be aggressive. If they feel threatened, they are likely to bite you. The female horse fly has been known to chase its victims. Their bites are extremely painful and can cause allergic reactions in some people.
No matter what kind of flies you've found in your home, EnviroGuard can help you eliminate the problem.
The Dangers Fly Infestations Can Cause In Homes
Flies are extremely unhygienic. They spend their days crawling across filthy surfaces and picking up various bacteria and viruses, which they then deposit around your home. Fly infestations have been known to cause some people to become extremely ill.
Some of the illnesses and diseases that you could catch from common flies could include tuberculosis, dysentery, and food poisoning. If you have a fly infestation and you start to develop a fever, chills, nausea, or weakness, you should seek medical help right away.
Effective Fly Prevention Tips
The key to preventing a fly infestation is to make sure that there is nothing in or around your home that they are attracted to. To accomplish this, you should:
- Make sure that you have lids on all of your indoor and outdoor trash cans.
- Don't leave open food containers out.
- Don't leave the exterior door to your house or your garage door open.
- Seal up any cracks or gaps that you have around your exterior doors and windows.
Common flies are attracted to food, especially rotting food. Properly storing all food and trash is the best way to avoid a fly infestation.
Professional Pest Control Is A Great Fly Control Solution
If the common fly has taken over your Laredo residence, call EnviroGuard today. We will eliminate all of the flies from your home and help you come up with a comprehensive plan that will prevent future infestations.