San Antonio's Complete Guide To Stinging Insects
July 03, 2022
Living in San Antonio means dealing with the intense summer heat and the various insects that come with it. If stinging insects have invaded your property, now is the time to get educated on the different types of stinging insects you might encounter, learn helpful wasp prevention tips, and ways to deter bees, wasps, hornets, and yellow jackets. To keep your yard free of these dangerous pets, EnviroGuard provides pest control in San Antonio you can rely on to get rid of wasps and other stinging insects safely and permanently and guard your family against insect bites and stings.
The Types Of Stinging Insects You Can Encounter In San Antonio
Many stinging insects can cross your path in San Antonio, including several types of wasps and other surprising pests. Here is a short list with their descriptions:
- Asps: A stinging caterpillar that can inflict painful stings and rashes.
- Velvet Ants: Hairy and resembling ants, velvet ants are wasps.
- Tarantula Hawk: Not a tarantula or a hawk; the tarantula hawk is a wasp that preys on the large and hairy spiders.
- Fire Ants: Red-colored ants that can inflict painful bites and are vectors of diseases.
- Honey Bees: A common flying and stinging pollinator.
- Paper Wasps: Wasps that build paper-looking nests and can sting in large numbers.
San Antonio is home to a wide variety of stinging insects, including several species of wasps. If they have settled on your property, remember that the best way to get rid of a wasp nest is with the help of professionals. If threatened, wasps can sting in large numbers, leading to anaphylactic shock and even death.
Helpful Wasp Prevention Tips
There are several ways that you can prevent wasps from taking over, including the following:
- Do not leave food scraps and leftovers around your property, but rather clean up as soon as possible.
- Keep doors and windows closed whenever possible, and consider fitting them with fine mesh screens, and door sweeps to keep insects from coming inside.
- Keep garbage cans clean, and dispose of trash as often as possible.
- Consider adding plants that repel wasps and other stinging insects to your landscaping.
- Hire a pest control company for regular inspections and treatments.
If these wasp prevention tips aren’t helping reduce the wasp population on your property, it might be time to reach out to the professionals before the infestation gets uncontrollable.
Ways To Deter Hornets And Yellow Jackets
Deterring and getting rid of yellow jackets and hornets is similar to wasp control. Your windows and doors must be in good shape to prevent stinging insects from entering. Ensuring that your sidings and foundations are properly maintained is also crucial, as any cracks can provide yellow jackets and hornets with a place to build a nest. And as with many other pets, do not leave food scraps out and keep all garbage cans clean and closed.
Professional Stinging Insect Control And Removal
Preventing and getting rid of stinging insects is a job best left to professionals due to the danger these pests can pose to humans and pets. A pest control company such as EnviroGuard in San Antonio can inspect your property to determine which insects are invading and why and provide advice to keep them away. If extermination is required, experts can recommend various methods that best fit your need and take the necessary steps to prevent the infestation from coming back.
If you are dealing with stinging insects in San Antonio, it is crucial to take steps to get rid of them before they settle down and start reproducing. EnviroGuard in San Antonio can help you get rid of wasps and other stinging insects safely and for good and keep your family safe.