The Secret To Keeping Rats Out Of Your Lubbock Home
October 21, 2022
Your Lubbock home attracts rats because it provides them with a cozy dwelling where they can best thrive. When you come across rats in your home, panic is reasonable. The unwelcome guests carry diseases and bacteria and often cause damage to dwellings.
There are several home remedies for rats and mice when they make themselves comfortable in the corners of your house. If there is a rat invasion in your house, Lubbock pest control can help.
The Easiest Way To Spot A Rat Infestation
Due to their discrete nature, you will probably never see a rat in your house. If you do, the invasion is severe, and you must consider rat control. Here are signs of a rat infestation:
- Rat droppings: Fecal matter in drawers, under the sinks, and around food packages signifies infestation.
- Chewing on food packaging: Rats easily chew on cardboard and plastic packaging to reach food, leaving your family vulnerable to a disease spread by rats.
- Holes on walls: Rats create holes through walls and floors to enter your home.
- Nesting material: Rats make their nests with shredded paper, paper tissues, dried plants, and fabric.
- Stale smells: A stale ammonia smell from hidden areas typically indicates an ongoing infestation.
Seeing a rat running in your house and bumping into nesting materials, droppings, and chewing on food packaging is a sign of an active infestation.
What Causes Rats To Invade Your Home
Several factors attract rats to homes, from poor sanitation, harsh weather, leaking pipes, and holes in walls to a constant food supply. You cannot control factors like extreme weather, but you can address others like poor sanitation.
Poor sanitation gives rats easy access to nesting areas and food and water sources, encouraging them to move in. Rats seek shelter in insulated homes and attics to shelter from unfavorable weather and harsh exterior conditions. Easy access to openings and cracks on walls and floors invite rats to shelter in your home as they can squeeze or chew through the gaps and enter your home. Moisture problems such as constantly dripping pipes attract rats as it provides them with the much-needed water to survive.
There is a risk factor for rat invasion in every home in Lubbock. If not managed, an infestation becomes a nuisance and expensive ordeal.
Here Are Six Tips For Dealing With A Rat Infestation
In addition to being a nuisance, rat infestations poses a health risk to your family. If left unmanaged, it can cause extensive damage to your property. Here are ways to deal with rat invasion:
- Maintain cleanliness. Homes with clutter, open garbage cans, and food scraps attract rats. Decluttering your home and keeping it clear of food spills will keep rats away.
- Seal holes and cracks. Sealing cracks and holes in your home by patching them with caulk or steel wool can keep rats outside.
- Repair leaking pipes. Inspect your water pipes for leakages and address them to keep the rodents away from your home.
- Eliminate potential nesting sites. Remove any potential nesting sites for rats, such as debris piles, old furniture, and deep mulch.
- Consider trapping. Placing traps in high-traffic areas is an effective way of reducing the rat population.
- Call a pest control company. Rat control experts will identify the cause of the infestation and address it.
If there is an infestation in your home, take swift action to get rid of rats as they breed in contaminated areas, spreading Salmonella and E. coli. There are several home remedies to kill rats, but if the problem persists, practice proper sanitation, remove potential nesting areas, and call rat control experts.
What Does EnviroGuard Do About Rats In My Home?
The best way to get rid of rats fast is to get in touch with a professional team. EnviroGuard uses simple and effective techniques to keep rodents away. If you are experiencing an invasion, EnviroGuard rodent control experts will inspect your property for the most suitable strategy for rat extermination.
Once treatment is complete, the team of experts will suggest and create prevention measures to permanently keep rats away from your house.