The Ticks In Bryan Can Be Tricky To Get Rid Of
June 09, 2022
Ticks are a notoriously nasty pest with a host of health risks. It's essential to avoid them at all costs because they’re known to carry and spread harmful diseases. Taking precautions to tick-proof yourself and your property is of the utmost importance.
It is extremely difficult to tackle a tick infestation without professional help. Read on to learn more about the risks of ticks and why EnviroGuard is a trusted source of pest control in Bryan.
How Do Ticks Spread Diseases?
Ticks cannot fly, but they can jump and will leap off a blade of tall grass onto a host to feed. They sense body heat, odor, and moisture and are very attuned to when a potential meal is nearby. Ticks wait along paths that people and animals commonly travel. Once they've landed on a host, they bite the skin and insert a feeding tube. This process is what transmits diseases from one host to another. They inject saliva into the host, and if the tick carries any pathogens, they will spread them from one food source to another.
Some of the diseases caused by ticks include anaplasmosis, tularemia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and ehrlichiosis. Perhaps the most widely-known tick-borne illness is Lyme disease. Deer ticks carry this disease exclusively, and it can have serious, chronic effects on humans.
Common Ticks In The Bryan Area
There are several different types of ticks in Bryan. Here's a list of the most common variations, along with how to identify them:
- Deer ticks: They are orange and brown with black legs and are also known as blacklegged ticks. These ticks are longer than they are wide.
- Lone star ticks: Reddish-brown when unfed, gray after feeding. Females have a single white or a silver marking on their backs. Males have several white horseshoe-shaped markings.
- Brown dog ticks: Reddish-brown unfed and grayish-blue or olive green after feeding. Males have a shield-like covering on their backs with tiny dents in it.
- American dog ticks: Brown or white with gray markings. They also have a shield-like covering.
If you identify these insects on your property, it's crucial you contact a skilled exterminator like EnviroGuard to assist you with tick removal.
The Six Best Ways To Get Rid Of & Prevent Ticks
Ticks are a nasty and intimidating pest. Fortunately, there are effective methods of tick prevention you can follow to protect yourself and your family. Here are six top tips:
- Protect yourself while spending time outdoors. Wear long-sleeved shirts and tuck your long pants into your socks or shoes. Apply a tick repellent whenever you're exploring or hiking.
- Stay on hiking trails and out of unmarked areas. Avoid heavily-wooded regions and stick to well-traveled paths that are maintained or landscaped.
- Shower as soon as possible after being outside and check your body for ticks. Use a full-length mirror to make sure you don't miss any spots.
- Make sure your pets are up to date on all tick treatment medications or use a flea and tick collar. Check their fur thoroughly after they've been outdoors.
- Remove all tall grass from your property and mow your lawn regularly. Consider adding a fence to keep deer out if you live in a more remote area. Placing a barrier of wood chips around the perimeter of your property also acts as an effective deterrent.
- Keep swing sets and outdoor furniture away from tall grass and trees. Try to keep them in the sun and out of the shade.
Don't try to get rid of ticks on your property alone. Leave it to an experienced pest control company.
Keep Ticks Out Of Your Yard Forever!
Don't let ticks prevent you from enjoying the great outdoors. At EnviroGuard, our environmentally-friendly tick control methods are highly-effective while keeping your family and pets safe. Call us today to learn more about our pest control services and how we can eliminate ticks from your property for good.