What Every Pensacola Resident Should Know About Yellow Jacket Control
May 30, 2022
Yellow jacket control in Pensacola is definitely a must. With their love for warm temperatures, Florida is where yellow jackets thrive, especially because of the large human population. By simply being a human who produces garbage, yellow jackets will follow and are perfect examples of why professional pest control in Pensacola is so important. Read on to learn how to identify a yellow jacket, as well as what attracts them to your home in the first place.
Is This A Yellow Jacket?
The yellow jacket is an easy pest to identify; they have three segments to their bodies; head, thorax, and abdomen, each segmented from each other. They are yellow with black stripes, and when resting, their wings fold against their bodies. Adults typically grow to between 3/8 and 5/8 of an inch long, and they have antennae and six legs, three on each side of their body. Perhaps their most defining characteristic is that yellow jackets are not only smaller than wasps and hornets, but they are much more aggressive and likely to sting you, making professional pest control in Pensacola a necessity.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Yellow Jackets
Yellow jacket control in Pensacola can be accomplished a few different ways, but ultimately, the safest, most effective way to get rid of the southern yellow jacket is to have a professional treat your property.
However, below are some things you can do to prevent them from settling into your yard:
- Garbage is a favorite of the southern yellow jacket. Ensuring your yard is picked up and all trash is properly disposed of makes your place less appealing to them.
- Throwing the trash away isn’t enough. If your garbage bins are not properly secured, yellow jackets will still be able to get inside and feed on the trash, meaning they will hang around longer, and more will show up.
- If you have any kind of outdoor get-together involving food and drink, be sure to keep it covered to keep stinging pests away from you.
Be careful of DIY methods listed online. Not only are some methods ineffective, but some can actually attract yellow jackets!
What Kind Of Things Attract Yellow Jackets?
One of the reasons yellow jacket control in Pensacola is so important is because almost everything humans do attracts these stinging insects. As with many pests, the relationship is parasitic, with only one side thriving — the pests.
Below are reasons you may be seeing more yellow jackets in your yard:
- As stated earlier, yellow jackets love your trash. Garbage is a very easy source of food to them, so having garbage that is out in the open makes your place a five-star hotel in their eyes.
- Yellow jackets love sweet substances, and while these sweet substances can come from you, they can also be in the form of tree sap, so having trees in your yard that produce sap is another reason you may be seeing more of them.
- Because yellow jackets are drawn to pretty much anything that smells sweet, if you wear any sweet-smelling perfume, this will make the yellow jackets swarm you.
Not only is this species of insect known to be aggressive, but they are also likely to chase you, which makes having a nest near your home especially dangerous. If you have kids and pets, it is even more of a reason to seek professional help to remove them.
How To Keep Yellow Jackets Away From Your Home For Good
Here at EnviroGuard, we have over 40 years of experience dealing with yellow jackets. These stinging insects are no match for our expert technicians, who are armed with the skills and tools needed to safely and effectively exterminate entire swarms. Understanding how frustrating and overwhelming it can be to have these aggressive insects near your home, we provide prompt, compassionate services and will help you get your home back without anyone getting hurt. If you are tired of the yellow jackets in your yard, give us a call today and get started on our effective home pest control services.