Fly Control 101: How To Handle Fly Infestations In Pensacola
December 30, 2022
Having a fly infestation in your home could be more than just a nuisance, it could be hazardous to your health. At EnviroGuard, our Pensacola pest control specialists understand the seriousness of having too many flies around your home. If you are worried about a fly infestation, there are a few techniques that you can try to prevent them from swarming your property.
Common Types Of Flies That Infest Pensacola Homes
The warm and humid climate makes Pensacola the perfect destination for many fly species. Some of the most common types of flies that are found in this area include:
- House flies: House flies are some of the most common flies found in Florida. When a house fly reaches full maturity, it measures about 1/4 of an inch long and has a dark gray and black body with red eyes.
- Blow flies and bottle flies: These flies look similar to a house fly, but they usually have a metallic blue or green body. They lay their eggs in the bodies of dead animals. If you see these types of flies around your home, it is a good indication that there are dead animals near your home.
- Fruit flies: This type of fly likes to feed on rotten fruit and other foods. They are commonly found in trash cans.
- Horse flies: Horse flies are larger than the other common flies on this list. They can grow to around 2/3 of an inch long. They are some of the most problematic flies in this area because the female is known to bite people and animals. They like the warm, bright sun and are usually not found in shady areas.
- Stable flies: Also referred to as a "dog fly," this type of fly looks extremely similar to a house fly. However, unlike a house fly, stable flies feed on the blood of humans and animals. Both the male and the female stable fly will bite, which can be quite painful.
While not all of the common flies in this area are known to bite, they can all be exceptionally problematic if they are in your home.
How Fly Infestations Can Be A Health Concern
Most flies spend their days crawling around unsanitary places like rotting garbage and dead animals which allows them to pick up harmful bacteria and viruses. Flies have been known to spread dangerous illnesses such as tuberculosis, food poisoning, and dysentery.
The biting flies can also be hazardous to your health. In addition to leaving a painful bite that can last for several hours, some people may develop infections after getting bitten due to the fly being extremely unhygienic.
Six Naturally Effective Fly Prevention Tips
If you want to keep flies out of your home, there are a few simple tricks that you can try:
- Keep a tight lid on all indoor and outdoor garbage cans.
- Store all food, including pet food, in an airtight, sealable container.
- Don't leave your outdoor lights on all night.
- Keep litter boxes clean and don't dump them outside near your home.
- Clean up dirty dishes as soon as you're done with them.
- Don't leave your doors and windows open.
By following these tips, you have a better chance of preventing all flies from entering your home.
Professional Pest Control Makes For The Best Fly Control
If your Pensacola house already has a fly infestation problem, it can be difficult to eliminate all of the flies by yourself. At EnviroGuard, we can quickly and effectively get rid of all of the flies in your home and keep them out for good. Call us today for comprehensive pest control that you can count on.