How To Effectively Get Rid Of Flies In Bryan
February 18, 2023
Fly infestations are one of the most common reasons Texas homeowners seek professional pest control. Flies are obnoxious, breed faster than rabbits, contaminate your food with a myriad of bacteria and pathogens they carry on their bodies, and, worst of all, are nearly impossible to get rid of.
In Texas, you're likely to encounter house flies, horse flies, and fruit flies.
- House flies are the most common fly species in North America. They are 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, with dark grey oval-shaped bodies. House flies have a relatively short lifespan, but thanks to their ability to reproduce in large numbers, house fly infestations can quickly get out of control.
- Horse flies are one of the largest common flies, growing up to 1 1/8 inches long with large grey or black bodies. Horse flies dish out very painful bites to humans and animals.
- Fruit flies grow to 1/8 of an in size with a tan thorax and grey abdomen. These tiny flies gravitate to the smells of overripe fruit and fermenting matter.
Let's look at the signs of a fly infestation to watch for, how to keep flies away from your house, and where to find reliable pest control in Bryan if that fails.
How To Tell If It's Flies In Your Home
Fly infestations seem to appear out of nowhere but watching for the following signs should give you a clear warning:
- Seeing maggots (fly larvae)
- Seeing black spots on ceilings and walls (fly feces)
- Seeing flies
Flies multiply fast, having a short lifespan and being able to go from an egg to an adult fly in less than a week, making it very important to catch an infestation early before hundreds of flies are in your house.
All The Ways Flies In The House Can Be Dangerous
Flies pend most of their time in places we would find completely disgusting and spread the pathogens and bacteria they pick up there to every surface in your home. Horse flies can produce a painful bite that's likely to get infected and transmit diseases to animals. Exposure to fly feces can trigger an allergic episode in people predisposed to allergies. Flies produce feces every time they land, so if you are dealing with a fly infestation, their feces will begin to accumulate quickly.
Six Simple Yet Effective Tips To Keep Flies Out Of Your Home
Flies are experts at sneaking into our homes but utilizing the following guidelines will help you keep flies away from your Bryan home:
- Check your door and window screens to make sure they're in good shape.
- Ensure that doors and windows seal properly.
- Make sure to clear up spills and leftovers promptly.
- Keep drains and garbage disposals clean.
- Keep fruits and vegetables in a refrigerator or well-sealed containers.
- Dispose of garbage regularly and keep it in tightly closed garbage cans.
A single fly can lay over 500 eggs, which will become full-grown breeding adults within a few days. If you see signs of a fly infestation regardless of your prevention efforts, it's important to get a professional involved quickly.
How To Completely Get Rid Of Flies In Your House
At EnviroGuard, our well-trained service professionals have training and experience to help them identify the species of flies you're dealing with and develop a safe and effective treatment plan to clear flies out of your home for good.
If you're struggling with flies, give us a call today to get started and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Bryan.