The Easiest Way To Naturally Prevent Ticks In Huntsville
December 27, 2022
Alabama is home to a variety of tick species. These tiny parasites are not just a nuisance, they can also be dangerous to you and your pets. If you are looking for an easy and effective way to keep ticks off of your property, calling the Huntsville exterminators from EnviroGuard is the perfect solution.
The Types Of Ticks In Huntsville
There are only a few different types of ticks that are commonly found in Huntsville, which include:
- American dog ticks: These ticks will feed on all types of animals and humans. A full-grown dog tick is about 1/8 of an inch long. However, when it feeds, it can swell up to about a half-inch in size and resembles a small gray blueberry.
- Deer ticks: Deer ticks are found in heavily dense forests and areas that have tall grass. Like the dog tick, the deer tick can feed off of a human or animal for days at a time. After they have fed for seven days straight, their bodies will swell up so much that they are barely able to walk.
- Lone star ticks: These ticks have a distinctive white spots on their backs. They like to feed on large mammals such as horses, cows, people, and dogs. They thrive in warm temperatures, which is why they are the most common type of tick found in Alabama.
- Gulf Coast ticks: Gulf Coast ticks feed on different types of animals throughout their lives. The larvae feed off of small animals like mice and squirrels. When they become nymphs, they feed off medium-sized animals, like rabbits. Adult Gulf Coast ticks feed off of humans, pets, and livestock.
While some of the ticks are more likely to feed on certain animals, none of the ticks are too picky when it comes to feeding. They will feed on any host that they can find, so you, your family, and your pets are all at risk.
How Dangerous Are Tick Bites?
Many people wrongfully think that the only thing that a tick can do to you is leave an itchy bug bite on your skin. However, these tiny parasites have been known to spread a wide range of illnesses and diseases which include:
- Lyme disease
- Tick-borne relapsing fever
- Southern tick-associated rash illness
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
If you notice a rash, swelling, fever, or any other unusual symptoms after receiving a tick bite, you should seek medical help as soon as possible.
Four Naturally Effective Ways To Prevent Tick Bites
Ticks can be found in almost any outdoor setting in Huntsville. However, there are a few things that you can do to prevent ticks from coming into your yard:
- Keep your grass cut short to make it difficult for ticks to hide.
- Don't leave the grass clippings in your yard after mowing.
- Spread mulch or gravel around the perimeter of your yard to create a hot and dry barrier.
- Keep bushes and shrubs pruned and cut back away from your home.
By keeping the ticks out of your yard, you will be less likely to get bitten by one of these harmful parasites.
Professional Pest Control Is The Best Tick Control
If you want to ensure that ticks stay off of your property, call EnviroGuard. We have been eliminating ticks from Huntsville yards for decades with effective tick control services that keep you safe. We know what it takes to get rid of ticks and we know how to prevent them from coming back.