Ticks In Huntsville Can Be Tricky To Deal With
July 27, 2022
If you're a resident of Huntsville, you know that ticks are common in this area. And if you've ever had to deal with them, you know that they can be tricky to get rid of. Don't worry; EnviroGuard will go over all you need to know about tick pest control in Huntsville. We'll discuss the different types of ticks found in this area, how to prevent them from getting on your skin and into your home, and how to get rid of them for good if they do!
How Do Ticks Spread Diseases?
For a human to contract a disease from a tick, the tick must be infected with the bacteria or virus that causes the disease. Then, when the tick bites a human, it can pass along the infection.
The most common disease spread by ticks in Huntsville is Lyme disease. Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria called Borrelia burgdorferi, and it's carried by deer ticks (also called black-legged ticks).
Lyme disease can cause a wide range of symptoms, including fever, chills, headache, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, and a bulls-eye rash. If you think you've been bitten by a tick and are experiencing any of these symptoms, it's important to see a doctor right away. Lyme disease is treatable with antibiotics if it's caught early.
Common Ticks In The Huntsville Area
There are two main types of ticks in Huntsville: hard ticks and soft ticks. Hard ticks have a hard shield on their back, while soft ticks do not.
The most common type of hard tick in Huntsville is the American dog tick. This tick is most often found on dogs (hence the name), but can also bite humans. The American dog tick can carry Rocky Mountain spotted fever, so it's important to be on the lookout for this tick if you live in Huntsville.
The most common type of soft tick in Huntsville is the deer tick. This tick is most often found on deer, but can also bite humans. These are the ticks that carry Lyme disease, so it's important to avoid them if you live in Huntsville. Deer ticks are about the size of a poppy seed and can be difficult to spot on your skin.
The Six Best Ways To Get Rid Of & Prevent Ticks
The best way to prevent ticks is to keep them out of your yard and home in the first place by implementing natural tick prevention. Here are six ways you can do that:
- Mow your lawn regularly and keep it short. Ticks like to hide in tall grass, so keeping your lawn mowed will help discourage them from setting up shop in your yard.
- Get rid of leaf litter and woodpiles. Ticks like to hide in these places, so getting rid of them will make your yard less attractive to them.
- Keep your gutters clean. Ticks can drop from trees into your gutters and then make their way into your home, so it's important to keep them clean.
- Seal up cracks and crevices in your home. Ticks can squeeze through tiny spaces, so it's important to seal up any cracks or crevices they could potentially use to get into your home.
- Use bug spray for ticks. Repellents containing DEET, permethrin, or picaridin can help keep ticks away from your skin.
- Wear long sleeves and pants when you're outside. This will help prevent ticks from getting on your skin in the first place.
A little bit of preventive tick control for your yard can go a long way in keeping these blood-sucking insects away.
Keep Ticks Out Of Your Yard Forever!
If you're concerned about a tick infestation in your home or yard, the best thing you can do is call a professional pest control company like EnviroGuard. We offer environmentally friendly treatment methods and products at affordable prices. We'll create a customized plan to keep ticks out of your yard for good. Contact us today to request a free inspection.